One of the best ways to save money on a wedding is to keep it small and intimate. However, just because you are having a small wedding doesn’t mean that it won’t take any work to plan it correctly. There is still some work involved in capturing the right mood for your wedding and picking the right locations to have it.
What I have for you here is a checklist of things you can do to help bring down the cost of your small wedding.
1. Order a small cake. If you need more cake you can always have a sheet cake made so that there is enough to go around for everyone.
2. Reduce flowers. A small number of flowers placed in the right locations are often just as effective as having lots of flowers.
3. Avoid large venues. You don’t need to have the wedding ceremony or reception in a large location. A smaller venue saves money and helps capture the mood of a smaller wedding better.
4. Consider a casual wedding. A casual wedding keeps guests more relaxed and they usually have a better time because of it.
5. Lots of candles. If your going for intimate and romantic then I suggest you use candles to help create that kind of atmosphere. Candles can be bought for fairly cheap at the right places.
6. Go with a suit instead of a tux. If you want to dress up this is a great way to save money. Most people won’t even know the difference.
7. Make your own invitations. Buy some cheap software at a place like Walmart and then print them out. The invitations will still look gorgeous and will save you lots of money.
8. Make part of the food yourself. You could make the desert or appetizers to save money. You may even consider having everyone bring their favorite dish.
9. Don’t have an open bar. A lot of your guests will hate this, but it is the only way some couples can afford it. Just let your guests know that they will have to bring money with them if they want to drink.
10. Have your wedding on a Friday. This will save you money and it works just as well as a Saturday when you are having a smaller number of guests.
11. Go with a low cost DJ over a band. Bands usually cost much more.
12. Go with a basic photography package. You can always have your friends and family snap some random photos over the course of your wedding.